WINTER DISCOVERY DAYS AT THE FRDC!
We’re open Wednesday to Saturday, 10:00am-4:00pm. Drop by and discover the Fraser!
The Fraser River Discovery Centre’s health and safety protocols are based on recommendations from the BC Health Authority.
Click HERE to read our Visitor Code of Conduct.
This Holiday Season, the FRDC is pleased to offer festive activities, crafts, and games in Winter Discovery Days!
Winter has arrived at the Fraser River, and we invite you to celebrate the season in the FRDC’s Winter Discovery Days! Throughout December 18th – January 3rd, head down to the Fraser River Discovery Centre for festive, family-friendly fun that encourages us to consider how we might protect riverside ecosystems and craft seasonal gifts to spread some cheer! Step out of the cold and into the warmth of discovery and fun this holiday season!
Winter Discovery Days takes place across several days this holiday season, and features a variety of activities:
- Science of Snowflakes (December 18th & January 3rd )– Did you know that snowflakes can form over 35 unique shapes? But how do they form, and how to they keep their shape? Learn about these beautiful natural creations at the FRDC and create your own unique snowflake decorations!
- Upcycled Creations (December 20th & 27th) – Plastics are an incredibly useful material but are also one of the biggest sources of pollution in the world today. Learn why plastic poses such a risk to the environment and put them to good use by creating recycled plastic holiday decorations.
- Hibernation and Habitats (December 22nd & 29th) – Learn about which animals along the Fraser River hibernate in our jumbo board game, and use provided materials to create your very own hibernation den!
- Gifts of the Fraser (December 24th & 31st) – Wintertime is connected to giving and receiving gifts, and we invite you to get involved! Join us at the FRDC to create personalized greeting cards, decorate picture frames, and create DIY snow globes!
While everyone is welcome, these activities are intended for children aged 6 and up. Pre-registration is recommended.
WHEN: Select dates through December 18th – January 3rd, 10:00am – 4:00pm. Visitors may select a timeslot from a list of available options.
WHERE: Fraser River Discovery Centre – 788 Quayside Drive, New Westminster, BC
- Discover the science behind snowflakes – how they form, the surprising diversity of snowflakes, and make 3D models of different types of snowflakes!
- Learn about hibernating animals along the Fraser with games, activities, and a scavenger hunt.
- Recycle plastic materials to create festive holiday decorations and learn what we can do to reduce our plastic use.
- Create festive gifts such as personalized holiday cards and snow globes.
COST: Includes admission to the Discovery Centre. Annual Passholders register for free.
- Family Registration ($15.00 each) – covers 2 adults and up to 3 children
- Adult Registration ($6.00) – Adults 19 and older
- Senior Registration ($5.00) – Seniors 65 and older
- Student Registration ($5.00) – Student ID required
- Child Registration ($3.00) – Children aged 3-12
- Infants 2 and under register for free
- While visiting the Centre, please follow physical distancing rules whenever possible.
- Caretakers are asked to remain with their children for the duration of their visit.
- Masks are required for all visitors aged five (5) and older.
In addition, visitors over the age of twelve (12) must be prepared to show:
- A BC Vaccine Card indicating full vaccination from COVID-19
- Valid government photo ID
- A provincially/territorially recognized vaccine record for guests visiting from outside BC
- Proof of vaccination used to enter Canada for guests visiting from outside Canada
In accordance with PHO mandates, vaccination cards and valid identification are required for entry. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation!