RIVER BASIN DAYS!
We’re open Wednesday to Saturday, 10:00am-4:00pm. Drop by and discover the Fraser!
The Fraser River Discovery Centre’s health and safety protocols are based on recommendations from the BC Health Authority.
Click HERE to read our Visitor Code of Conduct.
River Basin Days is a monthly series of outdoor public programs geared towards families. Join us at rotating locations around the Fraser River Basin as we explore this incredible watershed! Our staff will guide you through 1-hour of activities, experiments, and art projects as we learn about the biodiversity of this great river.
DECEMBER 4th: CENTRAL PARK
Have you ever wondered how to use a compass, or how to read a map? Join us for an introduction to orienteering to find out! Orienteering involves navigating a course using a map and compass, and finding your way from checkpoint to checkpoint without getting lost. In this one-hour workshop, you’ll gain a basic understanding of map reading and compass use, and practice your skills on our 1.25 km orienteering course.
This workshop is aimed at older children, as map reading requires spatial reasoning skills.
Registration cost includes admission to the Fraser River Discovery Centre. Pay when you register for this workshop, and the next time you visit the Centre in person, you will be admitted for free.
COVID-19 Safety protocols are in place, so please register in advance. Click here to register.
WHEN: December 4th, 2:00-3:00. With enough interest, we will run a second workshop from 12:30-1:30. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested.
WHERE: Central Park, Burnaby. Meet in the parking lot on the west side of the park, off of Boundary Road.
- Play an orienteering game
- Learn how to read a map and use a compass
- Navigate a 1.25 km orienteering course
WHO: While everyone is welcome, this workshop is aimed at older children and their families.
COST: Includes admission to the Discovery Centre. Specific costs are listed below:
- Family Ticket ($15.00 each) – covers 2 adults and up to 3 children
- Adult Ticket ($6.00) – Adult 19 and older
- Senior Ticket ($5.00) – Senior 65 and older
- Student Ticket ($5.00) – Student ID required
- Child ticket ($3.00) – children aged 3-12
- Children 2 and under register for free.
- Pre-registration is required.
- Individual group size is limited to five (5) maximum. Workshop registration limited to four (4) groups.
- During the workshop, groups are required to follow physical distancing guidelines.
- Masks are required.